In Chronic sinusitis, the cavities around the nasal passage become inflamed and swollen despite the treatment attempts by the doctor. Breathing becomes difficult, the area around the eyes and face feel swollen and also you might feel facial pain or tenderness. Chronic sinusitis can be by an infection, by growths in the sinuses or by a deviated nasal septum. Generally affects the young and middle-aged adults, but also can affect the children.
- Thick, discolored discharge from the nose or down back the throat
- Nasal obstruction or congestion
- Pain, tenderness and swelling around eyes, cheek, nose, and forehead
- Reduced sense of smell
- Ear pain
- A sore throat
- Fatigue and irritability
The main cause of chronic sinusitis
- Nasal Polyps – These tissue growth that blocks the nasal passage
- Deviated nasal septum – A crooked septum
- Other medical condition – the immune-related disease can result in nasal blockage
- Respiratory tract infection – commonly cold. These infections can be viral, bacterial or fungal.
- Allergies like hay fever
Treatment includes the following methods
- Saline nasal irrigation
- Nasal corticosteroids which are a form of the nasal spray help prevent and treatment of the inflammation.
- Aspirin desensitization treatment
- Recommendation of certain antibiotic when the doctor cannot rule out an underlying infection
- Immunotherapy, it’s the allergy shots that help reduce the body’s reaction to specific allergens which might improve the condition.
- Surgery – In case resistant to the treatment or medication, endoscopic sinus surgery might be an option. For this procedure, the doctor uses a thin flexible tube with an attached endoscope to explore the sinus passage.
See a Doctor
If you are having sinusitis a number of times and the condition doesn’t respond to treatment or the symptoms of the sinusitis are there for more than seven days then it’s the time you must consult the doctor immediately. If you have the above-specified symptoms you must think about doctor’s consultation. We have a very good solution for you. You can do a consultation with the medical experts anytime and anywhere, no matter where you live in India. Pick up your phone and get the consultation done with the recommended doctors. All the medical experts are available 24X7 for your service. Do not waste any more of your valuable time and connect to the medical expert at docOPD.