Knee replacement surgery is performed on the osteoarthritis patient where the knee joint is replaced with artificial joint called prosthesis. This surgical process is also known as arthroplasty, where the metallic and plastic parts are used to make the man-made joint in place of damaged knee joint that covers the bones’ end. Some surgeons also use other materials like ceramic on ceramic or they can use ceramic on plastic.
People suffer with knee arthritis when the cartilage of their knee joint gets damaged. There are different types of knee arthritis that includes osteoarthritis (common in old age people), rheumatoid arthritis and traumatic arthritis. The rheumatoid arthritis occurs due to excessive augmentation of synovial membrane and excessive leakage of synovial fluid. Traumatic arthritis occurs during heavy injury or knee joint affected due to accidents.
The Suggestions to be followed before the Surgery takes place:
- Assessment of knee: You will have to go through X-ray so that surgeon can assess whether you really need surgery or not. Your medical history will be considered if you are suffering from diabetes, heart disease or other health issues.
- You will be asked to stop consuming drugs that can make your blood clot hard. Hard blood clot can bring difficulty in surgical process.
- Stop drinking and Smoking: You will have to stop drinking alcohol and smoking; at least for a week before the surgery. If you will not abide by these rules then the post-surgery recovery process will decline considerably.
- Practice Physical Exercises: Your surgeon would suggest you to practice few physical exercises that you have to follow for a week or more.
Getting Acquainted with the Procedure:
- Anesthesia: First of all, you will be given anesthesia at your back that will numb the area of your lower body. This will help surgeon to operate and you will not feel the pain.
- The Surgery Begins: The orthopedic surgeon will make cut on your knee joint area of around 8-10 inches that will help him to begin the procedure. Then the patella or the kneecap will be removed and the area of thigh bone and lower leg bone will be cut so that the new knee joint can be positioned there. The bottom of kneecap will be cut to insert new pieces there.
- Preparing the Prosthesis: Prosthesis or the artificial knee joint will be prepared to replace the damaged knee joint. The two parts of prosthesis will be prepared to fit to your bones. The first part will be attached with the thigh bone end and the other will be used to attach the lower leg bone. This process of attaching the Prosthesis with body parts will be done through bone cement or screws.
- The Last Step: Finally, the orthopedic surgeon will repair the tendons and muscles surrounding the new placed joint and the surgical cuts will be closed. The entire surgical process will get completed in about two hours.
- Make your home suitable: You have to make the arrangements of your house suitable so that you don’t need to walk or move here and there much. It will help in faster recovery.
- Balanced Diet: Maintain proper diet suggested by doctor as you will lose lot of blood and energy during surgery. To recover fast, you will have to take healthy diet.
- Take Care of the Wound: Considering that you shall be having stitches due to surgery, you will have to avoid the wounds to get soaked in water and will have to bandage it regularly.