Eyestrain is commonly occurs when your eyes get tired from the intense work like driving long distance or staring at the computer screen or digit screen for long period of time. Eyestrain can be very aggravating. But it is in general not serious and goes away once you take rest. In some cases, signs and symptoms of eyestrain can indicate un underlying eye condition that needs treatment from a specialist.
- Sore, tired, itching or burning eyes
- watery or dry eyes
- blurred or double vision
- sore neck, shoulder or back
- Increased sensitivity of the light
- Difficulty concentrating
- Not able to keep the eyes open for even a short while
Causes of eyestrain
- Watching TV or any digital device for long period of time
- Reading without pausing or resting your eyes
- Driving long distance or activity which needs extended focus
- Being exposed to bright light
- strain to see in very dim light
- Having eye problem like dry eye or uncorrected vision
- exposure to dry moving air, heating or even air conditioner
In general treatment for the eyestrain consists of change in your daily habits or environment. Some people may need treatment for the eye condition also. For some people wearing glasses that are prescribed for specific activity, such as using computers or reading, helps in reducing the strain. Your doctor may suggest that you do regular eye exercise t help your eyes focus at different distances.
Home remedies and changing regular habits
- Adjustment of light. When you are watching television, it may be easier on your eyes if you will keep the room softly lit. When reading the printed materials or doing some writing work try positioning the light source behind you and direct the light onto the page or task you are doing. If you are sewing or reading a book use shaded light positioned in front of you.
- Take breaks. Take occasional breaks and ease your muscles when you are continuously doing some work. Place your elbows on the desk , palms facing up. Position your hands that it covers you eyes with your fingers. Take a deep breath , holds it for a second then exhale. Do this process for 15-30 seconds . This is a simple trick that works good for eyes.
- Limit your screen time. This is especially for the children. You must reduce or limit the time when you are watching computer, TV or any other electronic device.
- Use of artificial tears. Over-the-counter artificial tear can help you prevent and relieve dry eyes. Use them whenever you thing the eyes are feeling dry keep them well lubricated and prevent from dryness. Even doctors can suggest some drops.
When to see the doctor?
It’s necessary that you should see the eye specialist or a eye doctor if you have the eye strain for long period of time or the dryness frequency is very often. You can call the doctors or medical experts at docOPD.com and take advice of the doctor at low cost about the eyestrain. There are other benefits also where you can reduce the medical expenses by 50% by buying the health cards.