Heart disease is twice as common in the individuals with diabetes as compared to those who do not have diabetes. About 75 percent of the people who are suffering from diabetes will eventually have the problem of the cardiovascular disease and coronary artery disease. Herat disease in India is any as particularly devastating because type 2 diabetes, as well as heart disease, affects at very young age. Thus at a young age, the capacity to work and earn a livelihood is reduced. However, heart disease can be prevented in diabetic by some tips shared below:
- Diabetes should be well controlled, right at the onset of the disease. The studies have demonstrated that for first 10 years of good sugar control results in significantly higher cardiovascular benefits as compared to later 10 years of control.
- People who are obese must at least lose 10% of their body weight. A healthy lifestyle includes active lifestyle and a balanced diet.
- To prevent the risk of heart disease in diabetes, beside the control on diet, other risking factor like blood lipids and pressure should be controlled. For people with high cholesterol the doctors generally prescribe medicines to keep cholesterol in control. The blood pressure should be also controlled and should stay below 130/80 mm of Hg. Elderly people might have slight higher blood pressure in general about 150/80 mm Hg.
- Avoid the usage of tobacco-related product so stay away from smoking as much as you can. It would be good if you quit smoking. You can take the help of strategies like use of nicotine-containing chewing gums or patches and certain medication also to quit tobacco.
- If the heart disease cannot be prevented, then at least one should try to detect it at early stages. Therefore a heart checkup is required in diabetics at regular interval so that it can be prevented. Also when heart disease is detected early intervention is recommended for better survival.